Ford Telematics Drive: creating a service around the needs of Fleet Drivers
In the UK, daily walkaround checks are required by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) in order to ensure that fleet vehicles are safe and roadworthy. An MVP of the Ford Telematics Drive app (FT Drive) was launched to help Fleet Drivers carry the required daily walkaround checks and report any vehicle issues to their Fleet Managers.
Challenge: creating a service around the needs of fleet drivers
Ford identified an opportunity to extend the purpose of the app and provide a service around the needs of Fleet Drivers. To that end, the UX and service design team was asked to develop a vision for the future of the service and help to shape its short and long-term feature roadmap.
Process: involve the team in a Service Vision and Roadmap Sprint
- Phase 1 (Discover): UX research.
- Phase 2 (Define): workshops to identify the problem(s).
- Phase 3 (Ideate): workshops to generate solution(s).
- Phase 4 (Validate and deliver): testing the solution(s) devised.
Collaboration was key in this process: actively involving different stakeholders in all the phases of the design process facilitates communication, creates a common understanding, and generates innovative and impactful ideas.
Phase 1 – Discover
We were not able to conduct contextual inquiries and observe drivers while they work in their own environment due to the pandemic. The alternative was to conduct remote in-depth interviews with Fleet Drivers over the course of two weeks. High-level research objectives included:
- Gain a better understanding of the drivers’ day-to-day.
- Understand how drivers perform key tasks currently provided by FT Drive.
- Understand how FT Drive can further help drivers performing their job.
- Identify behavioural user segments.
Phase 2 – Define (workshops)
The workshops were carried over the course of two days to provide mental separation between Exploring the Now and Imagining the Future.
Workshop day 1: explore the now
The first day was all about the current state. We started by providing an overview of the insights of the in-depth interviews carried with the Fleet Drivers and then proceeded with two workshops:
- Persona canvas workshop.
- Customer experience mapping workshop (part 1).